Raiders Flagship Host Addresses Geno Smith’s Contract Situation

Do the Raiders have a contract situation brewing with Geno Smith?

By all accounts, that isn’t the case. But the Raiders still haven’t given Smith an introduction to the media and the timeline around his anticipated new deal keeps getting pushed back.

Flagship radio host Q Myers shared his thoughts on Smith’s contract situation on Monday.

“I was asked that on my podcast, someone sent a call in [asking] ‘Is there a chance this extension won’t happen?’ Myers said on Raider Nation Radio’s Unnecessary Roughness. “I was like ‘Nah, I don’t think so.’ But when you hear it out loud, it makes you sit there and think about it more. So, as I’m sitting here and I said, ‘No, it’s going to happen, it’s, you know, it’s just a matter of when, not if.’ And then all of a sudden, it just started creeping into my mind like, well, I wonder.”

“It’s just makes me curious on the fact that it’s taken as long,” Myers continued. “At first, when it was a couple of days… I was like, ‘No big deal. It’ll happen sooner rather than later.’ But now it’s starting to be double-digit days. Hold on, what’s going down here? What’s the hold up? I couldn’t imagine that it’s a big dispute on money. I think that everyone knows what the ballpark is supposed to look like when it comes to a Geno Smith extension.”

It had been reported that the Raiders and Smith were expected to get a deal done quickly, but at this point it might be in the best interest of the team to see how the draft plays out before committing $100 million to a 34-year-old quarterback.

Myers said he doesn’t believe money is the issue, and if that is the case, could the Raiders be holding out on a new deal for Smith to create the perception they might take a quarterback with the no. 6 pick?

Or for that matter could they be gearing up to take a quarterback like Shedeur Sanders with the no. 6 pick?

“Geno’s got one year left on his deal. Do they at some point say, ‘Yeah, we’re not going to extend you just yet?’ I mean, they technically don’t have to. I don’t think that that’s going to be the case. I’m sure they wouldn’t have made that trade if they didn’t plan on extending them, right? I’m sure that Geno’s people wouldn’t have wanted that trade to go down if that was the case either,” Myers said.

“I’m sure that’s all well and good. But until we actually see it, we really don’t know. So that’s why I throw the question out there and ask you, at what point do you start to get concerned about this Geno Smith extension?”

Since Smith hasn’t been introduced to the media and he hasn’t spoken on his new situation in Las Vegas, we can only speculate to how he feels about the situation.

Considering he had his worst season in Seattle in 2024 and the team was actively trying to trade D.K. Metcalf (which they ultimately achieved), it’s possible Smith was happy to leave the Seahawks with no guarantee of a contract extension in Las Vegas.

There may be nothing to worry about, but with so many beat writers around the team talking about the expectation of a new deal, it’s fair to wonder why the Raiders haven’t introduced him.

It’s no secret the Raiders pivoted quickly after Matthew Stafford made the decision to return to the Rams. With how quickly everything came together around the trade, is it possible the sides still aren’t on the same page in terms of what his new contract is going to look like?

That theory might be as good as any.

x: @raidersbeat

Share:

2 thoughts on “Raiders Flagship Host Addresses Geno Smith’s Contract Situation

  1. There might be a dual threat players or the best edge in the draft on the board when the Giants pick? Trade Smith to the Giants for their pick and give them our pick and let them work on the contract. That would be a huge win.

Comments are closed.