Will the Raiders move on from Geno Smith when the 2025 season finally comes to an end?
Three weeks ago, the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s Vinny Bonsignore said he believed Smith would most likely be back with the Raiders in 2026.
“Geno Smith, everyone brings up the hard cap hit. It’s also $18 million in cash that you have to pay him. It’s not something that’s just a repercussion, you know, a salary cap repercussion,” Bonsignore said on Raider Nation Radio’s Morning Tailgate in the last week of November.
“This is actual money,” Bonsignore continued. “So I would probably lean more toward… you draft a quarterback, Geno Smith becomes the guy that you roll into next year with until you feel like the rookie is ready to take over and then you hand over the reins to him. That might not be next year. It could be the year after that.”
But in recent days, Bonsignore has changed his stance on Smith, and he thinks it would be in the best interest of everyone involved to let a different team pay Smith the big bucks next year.
“I think it’s over with the Raiders and Geno Smith,” Bonsignore said on the Vegas Nation First and 10 podcast on Friday.
“Is there a scenario available where he does come back? Yes, there’s always a possibility. But I think for both sides, Geno, the Raiders, Raider fans, we’ve seen how ugly that has gotten. The play hasn’t backed it up. The winning hasn’t backed it up. We don’t even know if his head coach is going to be here next year in Pete Carroll. I think for everybody involved, and there’s some financial reasons why it makes sense also for the Raiders, you just move on.”
Based on information at OverTheCap, the team would clear $8 million in cap room for 2026 by cutting Smith before June 1.
If they choose to cut Smith, owner Mark Davis will have to fork over a $18.5 million parting gift, but it might be worth paying Smith the “big bucks” just to not have him on the roster.
With everything that has happened this year, it’s hard to imagine a scenario where Smith would be able to rebound in 2026 and play the way he did for a couple of seasons in Seattle.
Assuming he is ultimately released, Smith will join a growing list of veteran quarterbacks that flamed out in Las Vegas since the team cut the cord with Derek Carr in 2022.
x: @raidersbeat


They should keep him to bridge the future QB. He’ll be decent with a better OL, and an effective running game. But, he’s gone if he continues his disrespect of fans by flipping the bird.
Bridge a future QB? He sucks! Time to move on from him and the old man.
And who will start at QB, AOC? No thanks. Improve the OL then, I believe, Smith and Jeanty will be much better. We’re not going to rebuild the team in one offseason, anyway, so keep Smith instead of taking the $18+ cap hit.
I’m not a big fan of Geno Smith. With that being said, who is going to mentor the rookie qb? It sure won’t be AOC. That guy has no game and will never win out right a starting job in the NFL. If nothing else play Smith until they feel the rookie is ready to take over. Than see if you can trade smith for either a 6th round or 7th round pick. Also I would trade AOC before the draft for either a 6th round or 7th round pick.
Aiden would have something to play for. I’d rather we ditch Geno.
Vinny B is a simp for Mark & Brady but when he says something about the organization you listen cuz he’s giving you clues.
He was Brady’s mouthpiece last year for badmouthing AP & he was praising Pete all last off season. I’d listen to him
I feel the same way. Vinny’s role seems to be the Raider Nation “Horse” Whisper, sending little kearnals of information over airwaves, prepping us for headlines to come.
Why would anyone want Geno Smith to be a mentor?
TO TRIAGE A TRAIN WRECK YOU MUST……………
Start by seeing what is salvageable first, then sort through what still might function. The first priority is the position of Quarterback and with that in mind it raises questions like;
* Has Geno burnt his bridges here?
* Do you want a QB as a mentor who is flipping off fans, Raider fans of all people?
* Have you ever played Quarterback without an Offensive Line? (I don’t care who you are, even the great Tom Brady could not get anything done with this roster and offensive line.)
I would like to see Geno stay and mentor the first pick in the draft at QB. ( If we don’t go for a QB first all bets are off, this team and organization has given up and it does not matter if this position is not addressed first and foremost.)
*John Spytek will have to access where Geno Smith is in this disaster and if he is salvageable or not.
John Spytek is a keeper conditionally if these conditions are met:
* If Spytek makes the right call with Geno Smith.
* If Spytek moves on from Pete Carroll.
* If Spytek is willing to put away the coupon book with the Raiders salary cap and buy the Offensive Line we need.
* If Spytek is willing to spend the money it will take to rebuild this roster which will see a 65%+ turn over ratio of players who will not be back here again.
I want John Spytek back and Geno Smith too back next year. (You would be justified though if you have a different position other than this after this disaster.)
WESTSIDE
RN
SINCE 1974
I’m indifferent on keeping Geno. On one hand his age & experience would make me believe he would be an ideal player for this role. However, his attitude, and not just the bird incident, on the field and post game comments, lead me to wonder if he would accept being in such a role. I guess there will be QB market in the offseason, maybe if someone like Cousins is available, I think he would be an ideal pairing with Mendoza, if it were to happen that Raiders picked him. The personality of those two are a match, I hope Mendoza has a higher upside.
Geno Smith is awful. If he stays he’ll only be a distraction.
No QB would look good playing behind the lousy OL, inept run game, and no WR#1 lacking team. Smith has one year remaining on his contract he’ll be adequate bridging to the future QB. He just needs to sound out the haters.