It’s been a strange week for Jackson Powers-Johnson since swapping positions with Jordan Meredith, and when the move initially happened, it looked from the outside like the Raiders’ coaching staff might be trying to find a way to get both players on the field.
But the longer the saga plays out (and Pete Carroll hinted that it could still go on for a while), it’s starting to feel like the coaching staff is trying to send a message of some kind to Powers-Johnson.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal’s Vinny Bonsignore said last week that Powers-Johnson might be “on notice a little” and that sentiment seems to have become the popular opinion among beat writers covering the Raiders.
Sports Illustrated’s Hondo Carpenter talked about the Powers-Johnson saga on Sunday, and he didn’t downplay the situation outside of saying he’ll be surprised if Powers-Johnson isn’t a starter when the season begins.
“I have trouble thinking that when the season starts, he’s not a starter,” Carpenter said of Powers-Johnson on the Las Vegas Raiders Insider podcast. “But the longer this goes on, and now he’s injured, so today doesn’t really count, but the longer this goes on, I think he’s got something he needs to demonstrate to this coaching staff.”
“You’ll hear Pete’s comments today, because we’re going to post the video, and listen to when he’s asked about it,” Carpenter continued. “I thought it was a fair question, and it’s interesting… Maybe they’re just trying to send a message to him because he’s young, because they think there is more they can get out of him. Clearly, that’s the case… but this is interesting to watch.”
Silver & Black Sports Network’s Jesse Merrick posted a video (below) with his thoughts on Carroll’s comments, and it was clear again that those closest to the team haven’t quite figured out what is going on.
Going into training camp, it looked like Powers-Johnson was one of the few locks to start along the Raiders’ O-line, but as of the second week of August, it’s starting to feel like that might not be the case.
x: @raidersbeat

He’s got to be the starting C because Meredith was a turnstile there vs. Seattle.
I’m not a JPJ fan or whatever but if he’s not the starting center than that’s just another bad decision by the new FO/coaching staff. They have got zero value from every transaction since they’ve been in charge. We can hope and hope but this organization with Mark Davis and now Tom Brady is a laughing stock. So many swings but so many whiffs in baseball terms.
How is it a laughing stock? They got a new regime they barely getting started.
I’ve been saying, Tom Brady is just a name. Yes, he’s among the best to ever play the QB position, but he’s never built a team! Only the FO knows the extent of his involvement in day-to-day operations. Now, if Carroll gives away JPJ, like he did Bennett, that will be concerning bc our line is and has been weak for years. Also, questioning the decision to bring his son in to coach the OL, is he qualified to lead an NFL OL?
I think the young man is getting coached up for multiple positions as well as Meredith being honed for interchangeably. I guess the better center will emerge soon
There is no i in team. Our offensive line is offensive. There is no continuity. Doesn’t matter how good you are individually unless you’re out on the edge.
Sometimes I think we get too much information, what with all these “insiders” surviving on click bait. This JPJ seems like something, since they’re all chirping in unison, but it might be nothing more than the staff disappointed in the shape he’s in, or pushing on him as a message to the other lineman. He came in as a very decorated player, and really hasn’t disappointed with his play on the field
We have to shore up the O line, learn the blocking lane /sceme and be able to move. Not an individual group ALL working as a UNIT. If we are going to have an good running game it is essential that we have a Very good line for success…