Raiders Legend Calls Presumed No. 1 Pick Fernando Mendoza “The Chosen One”

The fan base seems to be sold on the idea of the Raiders drafting Fernando Mendoza with the no. 1 pick, and apparently, so is one their most respected alumni.

Former Raider great Lincoln Kennedy was asked on Tuesday if he would consider trading the no. 1 pick and passing on Mendoza, and his answer wasn’t tepid.

“Here’s where I am today and I am solid on this side of the fence because I believe the Raiders need a quarterback. They need a franchise quarterback. And I believe Mendoza is that guy,” Kennedy said on the Locked on Raiders Squad Show podcast.

“I’m not giving up that [no. 1] pick because I’ve evaluated enough to say, you know what, Mendoza is right there with the first pick. I’m taking him. I need to address this. I’m not saying that we’re not players away. We are still players away. And maybe you entertain the idea possibly of somebody coming to making an offer you can’t refuse, but right now I’m sold on Mendoza. So don’t mess this up, Raiders.”

Earlier in the show, Kennedy said he has been impressed with Mendoza on film, adding that he views the Indiana quarterback as “chosen one.”

“The energy that he played with, the maturity that he showed. [He is] such a different guy than I covered when he was at Cal. He has grown significantly. And I think he is a pro. I think he is definitely the first pick in the draft,” Kennedy said.

“To me, he’s the chosen one. I mean, if there’s anyone who’s going to take the Raiders somewhere great. I think he is there. He’s the future. Besides, the Raiders need to address this problem. They put Band-Aids over [the quarterback position] for far too long. Since Derek Carr, they have just supplied Band-Aids.”

Kennedy’s co-host, along with Shantelle Chand, also shared an interested comment on the energy Mendoza would bring to the fan base.

This was Q Myers on Mendoza if he ends up in Silver & Black next year…

“Not only do the Raiders have an opportunity to do something that they haven’t done in a very long time, which is have their franchise quarterback. They also have an opportunity to change the narrative that’s at Allegiant Stadium,” Myers said.

“We see it each and every home game. And what is that? That’s with all the other fans coming in, all the other jerseys that you see. I mean, you hear the national anthem going on. The Chiefs are in the house and you hear ’Chieeeefs’ at the end, which drives us crazy, right? It’s something that shouldn’t happen.”

“What you will see in Allegiant Stadium with Fernando Mendoza, if in fact the Raiders go and get that, you’ll see 15 Mendoza jerseys all over the stadium. You’ll see Mendoza supported everywhere. This is the Raiders that you’re talking about.”

x: @raidersbeat

RAIDERS SQUAD SHOW: Why the Las Vegas RAIDERS MUST draft Fernando MENDOZA | Coaching search HEATS UP

The Raiders Squad Show is back with Lincoln Kennedy, Q Myers, and Shantelle Chand breaking down the biggest storylines surrounding the Las Vegas Raiders. We dive into the latest Raiders head coaching search, discussing reported interview requests including Chris Shula, Nathan Scheelhaase, Mike LaFleur, Jeff Hafley, and more – and which candidate truly stands out as the best fit for the Silver and Black.

Share:

11 thoughts on “Raiders Legend Calls Presumed No. 1 Pick Fernando Mendoza “The Chosen One”

  1. I like Mendoza, alot. So yes take him. But as Chief’s did with Mchomes do not rush him in. We get tis front O-line right. I say let O’Connell be the starter. This young man has been so disrespected. He played better than the QB’s he was behind. Yet because he is a baby face. People disrespect him. He not timid. The young man is a fighter grinder. In college he beat Drew Brees records. Just support him.

      1. If they take him, we’re stuck with more three and out’s with a quarterback that can’t throw anything but underneath out of a shotgun. Defenses load the box and the run game fails.

  2. There’s no reason on this earth the Raiders trade away or don’t take Mendoza. This would be the biggest debacle in history to pass him up. I’m confident EVERYONE knows this and so “With the first pick in the 2026 NFL draft the Las Vegas Raiders select Fernando Mendoza QB from Indiana” !!! Let those words ring beautifully in your ears Raider Nation! Last year we wanted Jeanty and Spytek took Jeanty. So it will be this year a turning point for the Raiders!

  3. Defenses load the box and its three and out three and outs with no run game out of the shotgun. Rinse repeat.

  4. Ameer Abdullah, Josh Jacobs, Davante Adams, Robert Spillane, Demico Autry, Jacobi Meyers all did well for other teams, this year. These players were not the problem, Raiders “leadership” ( or more accurately the lack thereof) was. Tre Tucker’s and Michael Mayer’s “problems” are the Raiders organization, most specifically offensive line and inept quarterback play. If anyone doubts this then watch them go to another team and be productive. The Raiders need, in addition to a competent offensive line, veteran quarterback depth, namely Malik Willis as the starter, Joshua Dobbs as the backup and a rookie who won’t be under pressure to start immediately. That’s how you add competent depth at this position.

    Zamir White, Dillon Laube, Tyree Wilson, Kenny Pickett, Geno Smith and Adian O’Connell all need to be let go. Additionally, it wouldn’t hurt to address the (not so) Special teams. The offensive line and Special Teams coaches could use a serious upgrade. It seems that we are stuck with the guys who call themselves “Raiders Management,” so let’s see how they, this year, address last year’s “team” that they put on the field. No matter what they do, all the sportswriters will talk about is how things are looking up, until the team actually starts playing games.

Comments are closed.